ellemoe

The Corollaria
Courtney B. Jones
The Waking Dreamer
J.E. Alexander

2:32 AM (The Djinn Master's Legacy, #1)

2:32 AM (The Djinn Master's Legacy, #1) - Emily Ford It saddens me to read a book that has a somewhat interesting premise, only to find out the story spirals out into a complete mess. Scenes switch from one to the other with no transition, which not only disorients the reader, but makes you wonder if you’ve missed something. The title is only referenced about three times (it’s the time on the clock when protagonist Cat awakens from a bad dream) and the significance is never explained. Actually, nothing is really explained. It seems Ford took the easy way out of making sense of anything by having characters with any knowledge of what was happening to Cat tell her they would talk about it “later.” Brushing things under the rug is a constant theme in this book, and is a big turn off. What’s the point of having a your protagonist discover this amazing thing happening to her if she’s never told where it originates, why she was chosen or what she’s fully capable of?

2:32 AM follows the typical YA novel formula. There’s an extremely beautiful teenage girl on the verge of a life-changing event that she keeps secret until the end of the book; an extremely hot guy who is into her, and another extremely hot guy who is also into her and stalks her. Of course, the stalking is in her dreams, so it’s perfectly ok. Not! Insta-love is in effect, big time. Or should I call it Insta-lust? It would have been nice to not have the love triangle in this book. It was an excruciating thing to put Cat through when it’s obvious she doesn’t have the brain capacity to make an intelligent decision.

The editing of this book seems to be nonexistent. In fact, I can’t imagine an editor even looked at this. If so, I’d want my money back. The amount of commas used in this story (and the grammar mistakes) leaves me dumbfounded. For the most part, they’re used at the oddest points in a sentence, creating pauses that pull the reader from the story and cause unnecessary confusion. The tense of some words is incorrect, and there are sentences where words are either missing or are in the incorrect place. Not only that, the author uses strangely spelled words to put across the cadence of a character’s Southern accent. “Cat, da-on’t mind them they’re sao lame!” Oddly enough, after the introduction of Charlotte into the story, she no longer had the strange accent thing going for her. She spoke like everyone else.

The formatting of the piece is cramped and makes it difficult to read. The plot is paper thin and the characters have no substance. I don’t know how anyone could find any reason to like or relate to them. Cat is easily one of the most ridiculous protagonists I’ve come across. She has strange dreams yet chooses to ignore them. She has feelings that alert her to danger yet thinks it’s just some weird coincidence. She sees men in her dreams, then in real life and tells no one. The idea of Cat being watched by multiple persons (if I sad who they were I would spoil a major part of the story) since her birth is disturbing. I don’t understand why Cat doesn’t think about it for longer than two seconds, nor do I understand why the knowledge doesn’t frighten her. How readers are supposed to sympathize with Cat when she brushes these weird occurrences off as no big thing? I think I was more worried about her being stalked watched over than she was.

The most offensive thing in this book occurs within the first three pages. The mysterious man we come to know as Finnegan is initially described as “the black man” while all other characters are identified as being male or female, or are described by hair color. (The synopsis calls him “a mysterious unknown man” so why the change in the actual pages of the book?) Finnegan is the only character who is described by his ethnicity. I wondereded if Ford was pointing this out because all the other characters in the book are Caucasian, or because his skin color actually played some part in the plot. It doesn’t. He’s just “the black man” with an Irish name who appears in Cat’s dreams and eventually in person. I feel the description of Finnegan is meant to gives him an ominous connotation when he’s actually Cat’s guardian of sorts. One character should not be singled out by his skin color just because it’s easier than saying “the strange man from my dreams.” Oh but wait, that wasn’t so difficult after all. See my above statement about the book’s synopsis.

I got so confused while reading this story because it contradicts itself repeatedly. It isn’t a good read and is more frustrating than entertaining. I felt like I was being fed a lot of nonsense and being told it’s fiction. I understand creating a new world or circumstances, but things need to make sense. Nothing about this story makes sense. I started skimming at the 30% mark and then only read the dialogue (which was juvenile and unnatural to say the least). When the characters start sounding like soap opera actors, I know a book isn’t going to be worth my time. I’m sorry to say 2:32 AM is not a book I would read again nor would I recommend it to anyone.

I was provided an ARC from NetGalley and the publisher for my honest opinion.