ellemoe

The Corollaria
Courtney B. Jones
The Waking Dreamer
J.E. Alexander
The Space Between Us - Megan Hart I feel a bit conflicted after reading this because it's quite similar in premise and story line to a piece of fanfiction I read a year ago. I'm not saying this is the same thing (because it isn't) but the similarities are extremely shocking. That said, I did enjoy the story. I like what the author did with the main story, meaning the realizations Tesla comes to in her life. She doesn't have a great track record with relationships and it seems she's always the add-on. She's not the main event when it comes to any relationship because there's always someone else, some excuse, some reason she's not put first in the person she love's life. I think the main issue here is sex. Her introduction to it, her ease with it, her almost equating sex with love, kind of puts her in situations where she isn't regarded as she should be.

I liked Tesla, liked her personality and felt she was a real character. Meredith, not so much. She wasn't initially made out to be the bad guy, but you could see it coming. I mean, how could she not be. What she asks Tesla to do would have dire consequences. Meredith being the control freak she is thought she could keep things under wraps (as illustrated by the first encounter Tesla has with Meredith and her husband Charlie) but you can't control someone's feelings. I think they way things played out seemed realistic, if a bit neatly done. The story flowed well though I have to admit being caught off guard by some of Hart's word choices. This isn't the first erotica novel I've read, but I found myself cringing at some passages. But that's because I wasn't expecting it.

Overall, I enjoyed the novel though I would have liked to learn a bit more about Tesla's past and the other relationships she had with her regulars. Some of them seemed like they would extend beyond the coffee house. There were a few plot points that weren't resolved, which I felt shorted the reader. Having a main character vanish to make things convenient, isn't exactly the way to resolve underlying issues.

I was provided an ARC by NetGalley and the publisher for an honest review.