ellemoe

The Corollaria
Courtney B. Jones
The Waking Dreamer
J.E. Alexander
Slammed (Slammed, #1) - Colleen Hoover Original review is posted here: http://www.yourentertainmentcorner.com/?p=29988.

While I enjoyed reading Slammed, I didn’t find it to be realistic. My connection to the characters failed as they didn’t contain the substance needed to make me care about them. If I can’t relate to a character, or feel their circumstance is probable, you lose me. Case in point, I’d believe a 24-year-old was a student teacher rather than the actual 21-year-old (Will) we’re supposed to believe is teaching students only three years younger than he is. Not buying that for a minute. Add in the flimsy plot, editing errors and lack of surprise, and Slammed is not the tear-jerker some readers have promised it to be. Or maybe I’m just all out of tears for the predictable.

The female protagonist, Lake, is supposed to be seen as mature by Will, yet she behaves very childishly and comes off as naïve at times. I’m not sure how Will could think Lake was a mature teenager in college. He may have been fooled, but I was not. The story is told in the first person narrative, which makes my case for me. Being inside Lake’s head, you get her thoughts firsthand and have to wonder why anyone would think she’s a levelheaded teenager taking the first steps toward adulthood.

There was too much drama in this one book. It may have been Hoover’s intention to write a tear jerker, but damn! How much negativity does a character have to go through? I didn’t shed a single tear, by the way. I kept asking myself, “what else can happen to this poor girl,” hoping Lake wouldn’t fall apart by the end of the novel. The tragic events were well overdone.

The poetry slamming doesn’t have the same effect in written form. Watching poetry performed in this way is amazing but it just doesn’t give off the emotion and passion it should in Slammed. Hoover tries to put across Will’s physical movements as he performs a piece, then she stops doing that with all the other poems. That device may have helped pull me into the moment in that one instance and I was confused as to why it wasn’t continued. Reading poetry is one thing; when you want readers to feel the reason behind the poetry, a writer has to go beyond just words to do it successfully. Hoover doesn’t do that here.

Even with all my complaints, I wanted to finish Lake and Will’s story. There was something about it that made me continue flipping pages to figure out what would happen in the end. It’s funny how that works sometimes and Hoover surprisingly makes it work for Slammed. I will read the next book in this series, Point of Retreat, which is told from Will’s POV. The series can only get better, right?

I was provided an ARC by NetGalley and the publisher for an honest review.