ellemoe

The Corollaria
Courtney B. Jones
The Waking Dreamer
J.E. Alexander
Mind Games - Kiersten White I don't know what to think about this. Reading other's reviews makes me feel like I don't have anything new to add because all of the one and two star reviews are on point. The repetitive triplets of things for emphasis becomes annoying. I don't understand why Fia speaks that way. Is it to make her appear insane or is that her tick? I kind of get what White was trying to do with this, but it doesn't work. The flashbacks give us some tidbits of backstory in varied increments from the past to the present, yet they don't really tell us anything. The present narration doesn't tell us anything either and consists of events during two and a half days. If the entire book stretches over two days and a few flashbacks, what the hell will the next one consist of? One day? Is this supposed to be like 24?

Can't say I liked any of the characters but Fia and James. Fia was interesting in that she was a contradiction. Her superpower is on the "meh" side of things and doesn't really make sense. I'm not sure why she is so useful to Keane and what his big mysterious plan for her will be. James is interesting because I couldn't figure him out. I truly think he has feelings for Fia and tells her the truth near the end of the book, but other than that, I'm not sure about him. I would like to know more about him but I don't. The romance or wanna be love triangle could have been left out. I was interested in the James/Fia relationship, but not to the point where I was dying to see what would happen next. I wanted to know why James was into her. Fia tells us she likes the way James looks and that's it. She wants to be with him because he's good looking and doesn't feel too wrong. Yup, that's it in a nutshell. Adam (the other part of the triangle) is a barely there character probably introduced as a precursor to his major role in the next novel. (I'll never know because I won't be reading it.) Adam is a long limbed, eyelashed, fingered boy with gray eyes. Oh, and he's a medical genius. That's all there is to know about him besides his love of puppies.

This was a quick, confusing, and not very good read, but it was a study of sorts. A study of how not to write a novel. Read something else because this one will leave you frustrated and confuzzled. Can't recommend this.